How we treat different types of customers
The Financial Conduct Authority (our regulator) requires us to put our customers into different groups so that we can treat them according to their level of knowledge about investments.
These groups are:
- retail client
- professional client
- eligible counterparty
Which group will you put me in?
We treat all customers who invest through Angel Corporate Finance as retail clients. This gives you the greatest level of protection under the regulations and ensures you get full information about any products you buy.
Can I choose to be categorized as a professional client or eIigible counterparty?
Yes, you can choose to be categorised as a professional client or an eligible counterparty, but this means you will receive less protection under FCA rules and guidance than those afforded to retail clients.
Also, you would not be entitled to receive a suitability report or appropriateness assessment in cases where they would be required for retail clients.
I’m currently a professionaI or eligible counterparty, can I choose to be categorized as a retail client?
Yes, if you are a professional client or eligible counterparty you can ask to be categorised as a retail client.
However, this does not necessarily mean you can refer any complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service, and you may not be eligible for compensation under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme is the UK's compensation fund for customers of authorised financial services firms.
Money held in client money bank account
- Most depositors, including individuals and small businesses, are covered by the FSCS.
- The FSCS covers the first £85,000 of each customer's claim against a bank or building society.
- Any money you hold in other accounts with the bank providing the client money bank account would count towards this limit.
- Some banks and building societies operate under a number of trading names. The total FSCS compensation claim will include claims against all these trading names.
Money held outside client money bank account
- The FSCS covers most types of investment business for the first £50,000 of each customer's claim, so the maximum compensation is £50,000.
Your ability to claim from the FSCS, and the amount you may be entitled to, will depend on the specific circumstances of your claim.
You can find out more about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (including amounts and eligibility to claim) by visiting their website www.FSCS.org.uk or calling 0800 678 1100 or 020 7741 4100.